Over the past few weeks, the situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic has changed quickly. We’ve done our best to support our patients’ goals while keeping everyone safe.
This week, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine has recommended the suspension of all fertility treatment cycles, in light of a lack of data about COVID-19’s effect on pregnancy as well as the more general directive to limit social interaction and preserve health care resources.
In order to comply with this guidance—and to do our part in stopping the spread of coronavirus—we will be postponing all new cycles until the global health situation is clearer. This policy is in effect as of today, March 20, 2020.
We know this news may be heartbreaking for those who have been preparing for their cycles, and we truly empathize. Please know we’ve made this difficult decision for the wellbeing of all.
For those mid-cycle
If you’ve already started a cycle with us, or your treatment is especially time-sensitive (such as a fertility preservation cycle before cancer treatment), rest assured you will be able to complete your cycle as scheduled. Here are the steps we’re taking to keep you healthy:
- We’re following CDC guidelines for infection prevention.
- We’re asking everyone who enters the office to wash their hands immediately.
- We’re keeping all patients at a 6-foot distance from our staff and each other whenever possible, and limiting contact between staff and patients to only what’s necessary.
- We’ve asked all patients experiencing any cold or flu symptoms to reschedule (if not in-cycle) or contact us to work out a plan (if currently cycling). If a patient appears ill or is coughing, we’ll immediately ask them to put a mask on and bring them to a room, or ask them to reschedule if possible.
- We’re requiring that partners, friends, or family members only come into the office when absolutely necessary (such as for a procedure or a pick-up after an egg retrieval).
- All questions will be answered and pre-ops completed via phone, to limit the traffic in the waiting room.
- We’re disinfecting all surfaces every hour.
- All non-medical staff are currently working from home; our healthcare team is on a rotating schedule to cut down on their need to travel to the office.
In the meantime
Our team is offering virtual consultations for those who want to take this time to explore their fertility options. We’re also offering virtual versions of our Egg Freezing 101 and other events. If you have any questions about scheduling a consultation, this policy, your cycle, COVID-19, or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact us.